Take, for example, this one:
B. Characteristics and qualifications needed
Proven track record in the following areas of ministry as a:
• Lay leader – training and small groups
• Manager of programs, staff, volunteers and committees
• Team builder – compassionate and relational
• Motivator – energetic and visionary
• Encourager –transparent and humbleI mean nothing against this church at all - in fact it is a very good church - but it strikes me that they are looking for one person to be at least the equivalent of what perhaps three people could bring to the position. The "manager of programs" bullet point describes someone who fits what Barna calls "strategic leader" function. The team builder qualification fits, appropriately, the "team builder" function. And the motivator characteristic fits the "directing leader" function. Barna says that individual leaders major on one of these functions, yet this church (and so many others) seems to be searching for a pastor with multiple personality disorder.
And of course, I can't help noticing that this position sounds EXTREMELY extroverted.
Now playing: Coldplay - Low